This avocado pesto is to die for! It's creamy and satisfying and full of healthy fats - a perfect summer meal.
A traditional pesto calls for parmesan and pine nuts but this simple recipe cuts out the dairy and nuts. I added nutritional yeast for a bit of cheesy flavour and paired it with some spirallized zucchini to make the meal low carb and Keto friendly and topped it with a few bbq shrimp.
Find the recipe below!
- 2 ripe avocados
- Handful of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 zucchini
- Peel and place avocados in a food processor with the basil, garlic clove, nutritional yeast, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and juice of half the lemon.
- Blend until a smooth consistency.
- Spiralize the zucchini.
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat.
- Add zucchini and let it cook down for about 10 minutes until slightly softened.
- In the meantime, season shrimp with salt, pepper, chilli flakes, or any other favourite spices.
- Place shrimp on a heated grill until cooked through on each side- about 10 minutes.
- Pour the pesto sauce onto the zucchini noodles in the skillet and toss.
- Plate in a shallow bowl, place a few cooked shrimp on top and drizzle with lemon juice.
This recipe serves two, but you can easily double up on the ingredients to make more.